Grilled Rosemary Chicken Breasts with Pineapple
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 3 sprigs of rosemary, leaves rough chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- Salt, pepper
- 4 -6 chicken breasts
- Fresh lemon juice
- 1 pineapple, cored and cubed
- 1 green bell pepper, cubed
- 1 small Vidalia onion, cubed
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 small jalapeno pepper diced
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, lightly chop the herbs
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp fresh mint
- Pinch of salt, freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Marinate chicken in the yogurt, rosemary and garlic mixture for 1 -3 hours in the refrigerator
- Preheat grill to medium. When the grill is hot, brush the grill grates with olive oil
- Remove the chicken from the yogurt and place the chicken pieces on the grill skin side down, over indirect heat
- Discard the marinade. Cook until the skin is brown and crispy, turn, cook on the other side
- Cook the chicken until it reaches an internal temperature of 155 -160 degrees, about 30 minutes
- Remove the chicken from the grill and allow to rest for 10 minutes while the juices are redistributed through the meat
- Transfer to a serving platter and drizzle on some lemon juice
- Skewer the pineapple, bell pepper and onion cubes using bamboo sticks
- Brush the grill with oil. Grill over direct heat for approximately 5 minutes or until golden brown
- While pineapple is cooking, combine in a food processor the pineapple juice, vinegar, jalapeno, cilantro, parsley, mint, salt and pepper
- Drizzle in the olive oil until emulsified. Serve the sauce with the Chicken and Pineapple. Refrigerate, serve with leftovers
The recipe featured today is very healthy, but what makes it healthy are the properties within the ingredients. The ingredients are a combination of garden vegetables, lean protein, herbs, antioxidants, calcium, and citrus fruits which are delivery systems for important minerals, vitamins and nutrients. These superfoods provide optimum nutrition and also work to heal the body and are associated with lower rates of disease. Below is a review of the ingredients and their health benefits:
Chicken is a very good source of lean protein. Proteins are essential nutrients for growth of healthy cells. Chicken is also an important source of niacin and along with Vitamin B6 support good energy metabolism. The chicken recipe featured this week is fragranced with rosemary which is a very important herb used for culinary purposes as well as medicinal purposes. Rosemary has anti-oxidant properties that protect the body's cells from free radical damage. It has anti-inflammatory agents that: reduce the symptoms associated with asthma; when consumed regulalry improve kidney function; flush harmful toxins from the liver; preserve essential minerals in the body; relieve respiratory problems; and has been used to treat aches, pains and digestive orders.
Garlic and onions are some of the most commonly used bulb plants because they are miracle foods and much of their immune boosting properties come from their sulfuric compounds. These compounds fight bacterial, viral, fungal and parasitic infections. Onions are a very good source of vitamin C, B6, biotin, chromium, calcium and dietary fibre. In addition, onions contain good amounts of folic acid and vitamin B1 and K.
Both foods are also very good at detoxifying the body; they benefit the heart by boosting HDL cholesterol levels, lowering blood cholesterol, and thereby lowering blood pressure. The third ingredient of the onion, garlic trio is Olive oil. In addition to being a powerful antioxidant and bolstering the immune system, olive oil helps to protect against viruses and has been found to be effective in fighting against diseases like cancer, heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, and osteoporosis. The nutrients in olive oil reduce inflammation, lower levels of blood cholesterol, and decrease blood pressure. A high consumption of olive oil appears to improve calcium absorption and bone health as well.
Fresh herbs are star ingredients in cooking and are favorites to grow at home. Herbs not only add tremendous flavor, but also have special health benefits. They contain groups of compounds called flavonoids and the natural chemicals in the cells of these plants are delivery systems for important vitamins and minerals. This is the perfect time of year to enjoy the wonderful freshness of herbs which raise important levels of antioxidants in the body.
Bell peppers are low in calories and are dense in nutrients. They are a good source of beta carotene and Vitamin C. They have twice the Vitamin C of most vitamin-c containing fruits and vegetables. As discussed in an earlier blog, Citrus fruits provide our bodies with huge doses of Vitamin C also. Vitamin C strengthens the immune system and lowers cholesterol in the blood. Citrus fruits are refreshing, rich in antioxidants and assist the body in absorbing iron.
We hope you will enjoy preparing this menu. It is the season for grilling and we'd like to bring you healthy tips, good menus that are easy to prepare and helpful food information.
Join us next time when we'll feature the Superfood Salad which is a part of the Grilled Rosemary Chicken and Pineapple menu. It is a healthy and flavorful addition to this menu. We will also discuss its versatility in being used as a salad, a main course entree and a steamed side dish as well. Thanks for joining us on the Yogurt Fusion Blog and tune in for the next installment of this series!